Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Democrats Abroad

As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as Republicans Abroad. However, 22 of the DNC delegates are part of a group called Democrats Abroad — essentially U.S. citizens who are regsitered Democrats and live in foreign countries. Fourteen delegates are selected by the actual vote and 8 are assigned by the DNC. This odd assigning of delegates has become more controversial now that everyone is paying attention to delegates thanks to the tight race between Clinton and Obama.

I was neither a potential member for Republicans abroad nor Democrats abroad (nor Libertarians abroad or Greens abroad, for that matter) but registered as a mail-in voter. Unfortunately, my ballot got to me on the Wednesday before the election. I mailed the form on Thursday and have no idea whether the appropriate California address received my vote on time.

A number of potential voters showed up to the doors of the Embassy hoping to vote. Surprisingly, many U.S. citizens still (1) don't realize they can't vote at an embassy or consulate, which is not completely shocking, and (2) don't realize they have to register prior to election day, which, considering this has been the case for my entire lifetime for almost every state, territory, etc., is shocking.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that Obama won the Democrats Abroad contest.

No comments: